Burkina Faso attack: At least 160 killed in village raid

7 June 2021
Share this story

Armed men killed at least 160 people in an attack on a village in northern Burkina Faso, the country’s worst attack in recent years, officials say.

Homes and the local market were burned during the raid on Solhan in the early hours of Saturday morning.

No group has said it was behind the violence, but Islamist attacks are increasingly common in the country, especially in border regions.

The UN chief said he was “outraged” by the incident.

António Guterres “strongly condemns the heinous attack and underscores the urgent need for the international community to redouble support to member states in the fight against violent extremism and its unacceptable human toll,” his spokesperson said.

On Sunday, a total of 160 bodies were recovered from what local officials in Solhan described as three mass graves, AFP news agency reported.

“It’s the local people themselves who have started exhuming the bodies and burying them after transporting them,” an unnamed local source said, according to AFP.

The number of people killed in Solhan has increased from earlier reports of about 132 deaths, and there are concerns that the death toll may rise further.

Following the news of Saturday’s attack, the Burkinabe President Roch Kabore declared three days of national mourning, writing in a tweet that “we must stand united against the forces of evil”.

He described the attack as “barbaric” and said that security forces were trying to track down the perpetrators.

In another attack on Friday night, 14 people were reported to have been killed in the village of Tadaryat, about 150km (93 miles) to the north of Solhan.

Last month, 30 people died in an attack in the east of Burkina Faso.

The country is facing a deepening security crisis, like many of its neighbours, as armed groups carry out raids and kidnappings across much of the region.

In May, the Burkinabe army launched a large-scale operation in response to a resurgence of militant attacks. Despite this, the security forces are struggling to prevent the violence that has forced more than a million people from their homes over the past two years.

Africa’s semi-arid Sahel region has been hit by an insurgency since militants captured large parts of northern Mali in 2012 and 2013.

French forces have been supporting troops from Mali, Chad, Mauritania, Niger and Burkina Faso to fight the militants.

But this week France halted co-operation with Mali over the recent coup there.

Source: BBC

Last Posts

Nasser Fellowship Announces Participant Statistics

Share this story

Share this storyThe Nasser International Forum has revealed detailed statistics of participants in the Nasser Fellowship for International Leadership, revealing significant diversity in nationalities, continents, and ages of applicants. These statistics underscore the global stature…

7 June 2021

Prof. Peter Katjavivi (middle) speaks in Botswana last week at the signing of the Agreement to Amend the SADC Treaty to establish the SADC PF as an official institution of the regional bloc. Photo: Bright Khumanego

“Are we really here?” – Prof Peter Katjavivi reacts to transformation of SADC PF

Share this story

Share this storyBy Moses Magadza Gaborone, Botswana – In Luke 2:25-32, Simeon, a devout man who had been promised by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen Christ, said –…

7 June 2021

The Executive Secretary of SADC, Mr. Elias Magosi (left) speaks while the Speaker of the Parliament of South Africa, Hon Thoko Didiza and Botswana’s Minister for State President, Hon. Moeti Ceaser Mohwasa listen in. Photo: Bright Kumanego

SADC urges swift ratification of Regional Parliament Treaty before August Summit

Share this story

Share this storyBy Moses Magadza Gaborone, Botswana – The Executive Secretary of SADC, Mr. Elias Magosi, has hailed the recent signing of the Agreement to amend the SADC Treaty to transform the SADC Parliamentary Forum…

7 June 2021

The Speaker of the National Assembly of Botswana, Honourable Dithapelo Lefoko Keorapetse. Photo: Bright Khumanego, Parliament of Botswana

Botswana Speaker says SADC Regional Parliament will boost citizens’ participation

Share this story

Share this storyBy Moses Magadza Gaborone, Botswana – The Speaker of the National Assembly of Botswana, Honourable Dithapelo Lefoko Keorapetse has said that the transformation of the SADC Parliamentary Forum into a regional parliament will…

7 June 2021

ELATED: Botswana’s Minister for State President Honourable Moeti Ceaser Mohwasa (right) with the Speaker of South Africa Hon Thoko Didiza at the signing ceremony. Photo: Bright Khumanego, Parliament of Botswana.

Call to embrace SADC Parliament

Share this story

Share this story… as Botswana signs Treaty Amendment Agreement By Moses Magadza in Gaborone GABORONE- Botswana’s Minister for State President Honourable Moeti Ceaser Mohwasa, has welcomed the signing of the Agreement Amending the SADC Treaty…

7 June 2021

ussian-delegates-emerging-from-a-Meeting-in-Riyadh

Main outcomes of the Russia and United States expert groups meeting

Share this story

Share this story(March 25, 2025) 1. In line with the agreement reached by the presidents of Russia and the United States, the Russian and American sides agreed to provide for the implementation of the Black…

7 June 2021

Related Stories